Monday, October 22, 2007

Book: Zeroville

by Steve Erickson (2007).

I broke my book-buying ban for the new Erickson novel, because he is truly one of my favorites. This book was good, definitely worth buying, but not quite as powerful and relevatory as The Sea Came in at Midnight. Erickson deals with a lot of the same set pieces here: LA, punk music and the punk scene in NYC, the historical era of the 70s and 80s. But the plot is a little confusing, possibly because it tricks you into thinking it's realistic when it's actually surrealistic.

Still, this was an immensely enjoyable read, and I'll keep following Erickson's work.

2 comments:

thejamminjabber said...

I thought Zeroville was fantastic.

I recently conducted a very thorough interview with Erickson for www.chuckpalahniuk.net. Check it out.

Alexandra said...

Neat. Thanks for posting the link.