Friday, January 19, 2007

Film: Children of Men

I don't even have words for what this movie did to me. I let myself go so far into it, that by the last scene I was hugging myself, halfway to a panic attack in the theatre. And the quiet moment (you'll know what I mean) felt so much like grace, or divinity; I found myself wishing that reverance existed in our real lives, as much as I dread the possibility of the situation that created it.

This might have been the most valuable movie I've ever seen. And I'll probably never see it again--it was that visceral and horrible and real to me.

***

NPR talks to Cuarón about filming the extended scene towards the end of the film. Be aware that this is kind of spoiler-ish.

At Google Video you can watch Alfonso Cuarón, along with Guillermo del Toro and Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, on The Charlie Rose Show. I'd recommend watching it after you've seen the film--to cheer yourself up.

***

Children of Men
dir. by Alfonso Cuarón, 2006

No comments: