Friday, January 12, 2007

Graphic Novel: DMZ Vol. 1: On the Ground

by Brian Wood and Riccardo Burchielli (2006).

I make no attempt to conceal the fact that I am a HUGE Brian Wood fan. He is pretty much the only person making comics today that I feel are worth keeping up with monthly.

Unfortunately, I missed the boat on DMZ when it first started. I've since hopped on board (assuming my landlord doesn't stop picking up new issues for me, as I am the worst at getting to the comic book shop regularly). I know a lot about the series, but all without being spoiled, and so it's a lot of fun to go back and start from the beginning. To really see what's happening the pages.

The story is intensely compelling in all these ways that I geek out about: urban warfare, anarchy, radical communities, living off the grid. But it's also dark in a way that makes all those things more realistic. The kids at CrimethInc should pay attention...

The art is also worth mentioning. Burchielli has a drawing style I really enjoy, and that's rare for me to find in comics. Also, Wood's pages stand out awesomely--he has a very distinct way of interpreting tableaux.

I'm anxious for the next trade to be published, so I'll be caught up to where I'm reading monthly.

***

Check out preview art on Brian's Flickr page.

No comments: